If you are a local, you will know the best places to go and the best places to eat where you won’t have to worry about an upset stomach. After all, that will definitely be the one thing that could ruin your holiday. However, if you’re visiting from out of town, there are certain Do’s and Don’ts that you must follow to make sure that you have a safe yet enjoyable holiday.
- You should definitely bring a change of clothes if you are planning to visit the falls. They are a beautiful sight and may be a day trip for you, but it is guaranteed that you will get drenched even if you have no plans of wading into the bathing pools. The moisture and force of the spray of water can leave your clothes damp which may be uncomfortable.
- When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Go for a boat ride and enjoy the change of pace and mode of transport.
- If you are planning to head to Chauragarh, make sure that you are carrying enough food and water for you and your companions. This is a prominent landmark of Satpura and is located 4 kms from Mahadeo. You will find the summit crowned with many emblems of Mahadeo worship. This place may not have ample reliable food and water sources and it is better to be safe rather than sorry.
- Keep in mind that Pachmarhi is famous for its Honey and Ayurvedic Medicines. If you know anyone who will appreciate those products are gifts or you would like to stock up for yourself, this is the best place to buy.
- There are many eating joints that come recommended. If you are planning a short trip, there will be no need to pack any food. Instead, sample the typical Guajarati, Maharashtrian or Jain cuisines many restaurants have on their menu. The food will be affordable yet tasty. If you are unsure of any restaurants, do check up online to read up reviews. It may turn out that your palate isn’t used to the fare served. Remember, what’s good for the locals may not necessarily agree with you.
- Beverages are available everywhere and it is recommended to drink only bottled water. Do not attempt to drink from flowing streams no matter how clear you think the water may be.
- If you want to have an alcoholic drink, there are many bars scattered all over the place from where you can purchase alcohol. It is also recommended that you don’t go alone if you are not from the area.
- When you are planning to stay the night, do your research. There are many hotels in the area, especially in the market place where you will find one every 50 meters or so. There are hotels run by the Department of Tourism (part of the govt. of Madhya Pradesh). If you don’t fancy government run accommodation, you can always opt for one of the various private resorts or cottage/hotel facilities available in the area.
- You may be advised to carry cash with you as there are only 2 ATMs there which may run out in the tourist season. Also, many establishments may not have the facility to accept credit cards.
That being said if you are carrying cash, try not to keep it all in one place. Spread it around so nobody around you gets the impression that you have a lot of money on your persona s it could prove to be a temptation for unsavory characters.